423 South 10th Street
David Jumbo Sunflower Seeds
This two-story building, designed in 1911 by Omaha architect John Latenser, utilizes a concrete frame with mushroom columns similar to those used in the John Deere Building and brick curtain walls. The top of the structure is defined by a simple terra cotta cornice supported by terra cotta-trimmed brick piers. Large, transomed display windows open onto the two-story street-facing sides of this 66 x 132-door corner building.
Although the original plans and building permit show that this structure was built for the David Cole Creamery Company, City Directories indicate that the company never occupied the structure. Various tenants, including a Nash automobile dealer and the Omaha Casket Company, occupied the building until 1957 when the adjacent John Deere Plow Company purchased the structure for its annex. Presently vacant, the building was sold by the Deere Company along with its main building in 1982.